Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Response to Aaron's question

Aaron says: 'Since "immediacy" has the same root word as "hypermediacy", what can we then say about the way we commonly use the word "immediate"? It seems an interesting question, considering what it has come to mean, possibly in spite of its origin.'

Interesting question Aaron, but what did you have in mind while writing this question? Was a certain instance/idea of immediacy that you were thinking about? I’m asking so that I can understand your question better. But anyway, I think the word “immediate” and/or “immediacy” means something that occurs “after” a certain action. Therefore, in context of the readings, immediacy is something that would happen after viewing or experiencing a certain medium. But you know, the author talks a lot about virtual reality…and I don’t know if immediacy is the right way to categorize the experience of it. Virtual reality would be spontaneous or simultaneous…rather than being immediate…or what we understand from the word “immediate”
I don’t know if this answers your question…I hope that I’ve understood and commented appropriately.

No comments:

Post a Comment