Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My little graffiti project

So the process of making a stencil started with looking at stencil-making videos on Youtube of which some were really useful. I am a huge fan of learning stuff from Youtube and have almost always found "how-to" videos that cater to your most random learning needs. There are numerous videos that teach you to make stencils on photoshop by using a picture, so it's easy to waste a lot of time finding the one that you will be comfortable with, if your photoshop skils are limited. Therefore, with my minimal photoshop expertise, I found this video fairly helpful.
Once I learned how to make the stencil, I needed an idea. I had two. One was to make a T-shirt for my friend with his picture on it. I thought it'd make a nice birthday gift. It's a picture of him doing the karaoke. My friend, Trey, is a serious kinda guy and it is really hard to get him animated about anything. But then, God made Karaoke! (well, not God, but you get the point.) So I set out making his stencil. It looked like a pretty good stencil. But. Oh yes. The final graffiti looked NOTHING like my dear friend Trey karaoke-ing. And if I actually did make the t-shirt it would look absolutely ghastly. Here is the story, in pictures, 'before' and 'after'.

So after that little disaster, I decided to make a stencil for something really simple. I had this idea of making a logo for a theater-group that I'm a part of. The name of our little Indian theater and drama club is Mithya. Mithya is a Hindi word that means "illusion". We don't yet have a logo and are in the process of making one, so I thought it'd be opportune to flesh out some ideas. The logo you see at the bottom is what I had in mind. The faces opposite each other give a nice theater-y feel to it, something that can bespeak acting, drama, emoting etc. and that they make a vase inbetween gives it a touch of "illusion" (remember, mithya). Of course, the vase has nothing to do with theater or the word mithya, but I was aiming that the logo would reflect something about the name and not end up being a really complicated image. I made the logo on photoshop first, then the stencil, and finally the graffiti. If truth be told, the graffiti looks okay but could have had a better finish. I used poster paint that started to run into the other parts of the paper and smudge it. Had I used spray paint this problem wouldn't have occurred. Another mistake that I learned from is that small sized letters are extremely hard to cut out (especially with no prior practice or experience), so that messed up my design too. But I'm glad that the illusion of the faces-vase looks pretty good. What do you guys think? Ideas? Comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment