Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Responses to all photo-essays

Rasheena
I liked how she shows or captures the idea of "different perspectives" of how the same thing is used in different ways by different people. how meanings get laden on to things as we grow up. forming meanings over time is just like a process of maturing, growing up.

Raquel
I liked the pictures mainly because the places were familiar to me. however, I didn't quite understand what the pictures were conveying besides showing some new buildings and construction sites interspersed with other pictures that weren't new.

Nick
I loved the contrast that came out from the images. Thought that the idea of development steals away from the beauty of wide-open fields..but understood that it is a necessary evil, somehow.

Megan
Really liked the idea and it's execution. The exit signs were good and became unbearable...so i felt like i HAD to exit, escape into the open. And then there it was...pictures from outside..freedom...very beautiful.

HK
The first half of the photo-essay, I thought was about anti-war or anti-destruction....the pictures of anorexic models and emaciated children/people are more powerful in a sense of how these contradictions exist today...

Dan
(Random) I'm dense. I couldn't understand what the random piece was about, except that it was taken in a library with different light and shutter-speed settings.
(In order) - The ordered photo-essay made more sense to me. I thought it was about a person's visit to the library. I really liked that when it was played fast, Dan maintained the right height of the camera, so it looked almost like a movie. I really like that in the distance the windows looked stationary and almost like a focal point.

Crystal
I really liked the first half of the essay where she captured violation of traffic signs. Although, I'm not sure if the second half of the photo-essay was related to the first half.

Aaron
Really liked the idea. Thought it was about things one could or would do in a beach. Had a very relaxing feel to it. Almost seemed like I could feel the photographer's reminiscent feelings of being or longing to be on the beach.
Comment to discussion in class - I think it looks very advertising-y is because of the professional quality of the pictures taken...pictures like these are all over print ads in magazines and on the web...

No comments:

Post a Comment